Thursday, March 17, 2016

SOG MIA identified - SFC Alan Lee Boyer MIA in Laos 3/28/68

I was supremely honored by a phone call this morning from Mike Linnington, who told me about the identification of our missing brother-in-arms, Al Boyer.  He told me about his and Jack Kull's visit to Orlando yesterday to meet with Al's sister Judi, who has attended SOAR and is well-known to several of us.
Mr Linnington was highly impressed with the casualty assistance Major from SOCOM and SGM from 5th SFG and was most complimentary of our community.
Jack Kull has almost become a member of RT Asp and the Boyer family through amazing dedication to this case over many years of devoted service.
I spoke with Judi this morning and she authorized me to share her communication to her friends and loved ones with our entire community.  It is attached below.  Rick, perhaps just her letter could go on the website?
Al's interment with full military honors in Arlington is being scheduled.  They are trying mightily to get it done on Wed, Jun 22, so many who of us who are attending the Natl League of POW/MIA Families can attend.  Once the date is set, we should publish via website and blast email to assure maximum SOA and SOG attendance to honor this great recon man.
Once again, our deepest respect and admiration to the great DPAA team that is keeping up the long, hard fight on our behalf.
VR, Mike
Sent from my iPad
******************************************************************************************
Dear Friends
It is with a grateful heart that I am writing to share news about my brother Alan. On March 7, the eve of what would have been Alan’s 70th birthday, the Army (Mr. Michael Mee) called with news: Remains were identified by DNA as Alan’s.           
On March 16, 2 Army Special Forces soldiers, the Chief of Casualty operations Center for the Army (Mr. Mee) & 2 other Defense Department personnel (one was Gen. (Ret) Michael Linnington, Director Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA), and the other Jack Kull, who while working for DPAA became a dear family friend)-5 total-- came to our home to give me the official report. The remains had been given by 3 Lao Nationals (remains traders) to an activist in Laos who turned them in. The DNA match to the samples Mom & I gave many years ago were truly amazing. The lab said it is the strongest match they have seen yet!  I received a thick report with many more details.  I was also presented with Alan’s medals –including the Silver Star (3rd highest military decoration awarded) & Purple Heart. Interment will be at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors at a later date.
Thank you for your many years of support & prayers for Alan & my beloved Mom & Dad. Now we all know.
I extend my heartfelt thanks for everyone who helped in this endeavor over the years-DPAA, The National League of POW/MIA families & Ann Mills-Griffiths & family members; the analysts, investigators, excavation teams, the JPAC team in Laos who greeted Dorothy & me when we “dropped in” on them in Vientiane, Laos in 2001; Johnie Webb  & Dr. Tom Holland (who also graciously showed us around when we also showed up at the lab in Hawaii) Jack Kull for his friendship & support , Linda & Darrell Gilgan & members of VietNow. I could go on and on. I’m sure I’ve missed some important names & agencies but I thank EVERYONE involved in the accounting effort over the years.
I will continue to do all I can to support the League of Families in their priority of achieving their longstanding objective --the fullest possible accounting-1)the missing man is returned alive ; or  2)his remains recovered & identified ; or 3) convincing evidence as to why neither is possible, in which case he will remain forever as unrecovered & all information that relates or may relate will be provided to the next-of-kin who will then have the certainty of knowing the US Government did its very best to bring him home to his family & our Nation.  Please remember all the POW/MIAs who still remain unaccounted for. Their families still wait.
Sincerely, Judi Boyer Bouchard

No comments:

Post a Comment